How Many Feelings Can You Name?

Hellooooo, people.
Let’s talk about the minute feelings which haven't been given a single word yet to describe them fully. Let’s put them somewhere. Let me write and make you feel that if you relate to this in any way, you’re not alone. 

There are a lot of feelings in this world and yet the first ones which come to our minds are: Happiness, sadness, anger, satisfaction, anxiety, awkwardness, calm, confusion, pain, fear, relief, romance, surprise, excitement.
Even the ones I just mentioned weren’t the ones you remembered immediately. 
i’m right, ain’t i?

We all have experienced those moments where when even we have someone who would listen to us and understand, we go like, “I don’t know how to express.” or “I don’t have words to tell you what I’m feeling.”
There should have been more words. More sentences.
no more feelings though; ain’t we already so filled of them?
or is it just me being an extreme empath, feeling my emotions as well as of everyone else’s around me?

Imagine this person who urges to do something, let’s say, bite their own finger, so much so that it can bleed. Telling this person that it’s wrong is the first thing you’d have in mind. But, what if I tell you that they already know? It hurts them but the urge they have to bite their finger is uncontrollable. Despite knowing it’s bad for them, they have an urge to do it. Now, if you put them under intense self control training and they’re not biting their fingers anymore, you’d think that they’re healed and sorted in mind. But, are they? How can you be sure? How can this person themself be sure? What if this person tells you that they still have the urge, they just have become capable of controlling themselves physically?
What do you call this feeling? The feeling of wanting to do something which you know is bad for yourself? 

Does smoking sound similar to this? People know it’s bad for them, but they still smoke. Yes, the after-effects ain’t visible at the exact moment but people do know the consequences and they still smoke. Now, if you’re going to argue that people live healthy up to the age of 60-70 even if they smoke. Then, I’m going to talk about the people who have serious lung condition and they still smoke?

Whatever it is, my point is: Biting your own finger and smoking. These two are different urges. In terms of the visibility of how bad it is. In terms of what do you require to do so. In terms of how many people would get to know. In terms of how much privacy and time you’d require to do either of them. In terms of how much self-control lessons you’d require to achieve some positive change towards it.

If these two scenarios don’t make sense to you still, what about people getting attracted to red flags? The people, you know, are not good for you? You know you shouldn’t let them into your life but you still do. Even after getting to know your pattern and despite the efforts of changing that, you still urge for the red flag people. This is an urge. This is the kind of urge I’m talking about. The stuff which sparks war between your mind and heart. If you’re going through a phase of life where you’ve just figured out about an urge which is bad for you, what do you reply to “How’re you doing?” or “How’re you feeling?”
Do you have any word for that?

I know we ain’t so close to everyone in our life. But, do we have a word for ourselves even?
And this is just one single feeling. I haven’t even started a list of only my nameless emotions, let alone all the feelings existing in the whole world.

You too might have felt a number of things which you never were able to put into words. And the feelings which you didn’t even believe in, knowing no one would understand? What about those? I’m just making a point that we have so many feelings but not as many words; and people who are always short of words or just ain’t expressive enough, it’s harder for them.

Today, this was the topic of this blogpost, because I’m feeling something for which there is no word. I wish there were. But if there were, I wouldn’t have written this and probably you’d keep on thinking that there are too many words in the world. 

I believe, despite having so many languages with billions of words, there are things which haven’t been given proper words.
There are a lot of feelings which would never be explained in words but there are some, which need to have names. If not a name, then a sentence. 
Because, honestly, I thought I’d be able to explain what I feel in some or the other way here, but even after writing so many words, here we are. You getting my point but still can't name the feeling with which I wrote the damn thing.
 
Smileeeeee, darling.
At least, we have a word for the thing we do in happiness or in an attempt to feel so.

~Miss V

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All I've Ever Wished For

What Am I Made Up Of?

Where Are Writers Hidden?